Athens Christian Church Re-Opening Sunday, June 7, 2020
(7a, 8a, 9a,10a, & 11a)
We are excited to be welcoming people back to ACC by offering five, 30-minute services at 7a, 8a, 9a, 10a, and 11a beginning this Sunday, June 7 (Pastors will pray near the pulpit each Sunday at 6:30a and anyone needing prayer is always welcome to join them.) We know church will look and feel different in the coming weeks so we want to share a few things with you about what to expect. There will still be two ways you can worship with us, in person or on-line!
Attending church means something different now:
- In person: Come to ACC for one of our 30 minute services. If it seems too busy for your comfort, you can view the service in one of our overflow rooms, come back at another time or watch on-line. We are welcoming everyone to do what is best for their family. Overflow rooms for viewing the service live on screens in the building are located in the foyer, Kids Hub, Jr./Sr. High classroom, and the nursing mother’s room.
- On-line: We are excited to be making plans to keep our on-line church community up and going in the months ahead and praying about how it can become a new extension to our church family. We realize for some, worshiping at home is still the best option, and we want to do our best to make that happen with the on-line bulletin and worship.
We want to ensure each church experience is going to be the best it can be, whether you are going to join us online or in person. There is “no right way” to attend a church service right now. We want you to feel as comfortable as possible with the decision you make!
FAQ’S FOR ONLINE AND BUILDING SERVICES
HOW DO I CONTINUE WATCHING ON-LINE?
We are planning to live-stream one of our traditional services and one of our contemporary services! This is brand new for us and we are planning for everything to go smoothly, so that you can watch the service as it’s happening (this is called livestreaming). If we have technical difficulties during our live services, please be patient with us. We will make sure it is posted to YouTube like it has been in the past, but it might be later in the day. Pray with us that livestreaming works as we have planned and practiced for many hours!
Traditional Service Live at 9 am - Gail will continue to send out a link or you can access via the website under the On-line Service tab. Click on the links minutes before and be ready to watch at 9 am!
Contemporary Service Live at 11 am - Gail will continue to send out a link or you can access via the website under the On-line Service tab. Click on the links minutes before and be ready to watch at 11 am!
If you are not able to watch during the LIVE portion, the link will also be available through YouTube like it has in the past. It will just not be there until after the services are over.
WHAT HAPPENS WHEN I ARRIVE AT CHURCH?
When you arrive, you can park and walk to the entrance with your household doing your best to keep a 6 foot distance from other households. We are asking those who are able to park in the far parking spots, closest to Route 29, to leave closer spots for those who need it. There will be greeters to assist you into the building. They will hold the door and wear a mask. Please help us by not shaking hands or hugging. Masks are welcome and wanted, but not required. You can do what is comfortable for you and your family.
At all times we ask you to maintain a 6-foot safe distance as you move through and sit in the church. We are asking you to not congregate in the lobbies before or after services to maintain social distancing. We know lobby time is a big part of your experience for many of you. We encourage you to find other ways to connect with people during this time. We do ask that immediately following the service you please step outside if you wish to linger as it is safer to visit outside, and so our cleaning team can prepare for the next service.
WILL THE WORSHIP SERVICE BE DIFFERENT?
Yes. We still want to meet in person, but we are looking to keep you safe. Some differences will include shorter service and we will not be passing communion/offering trays. The experience will still include worship, teaching, communion, and offering.
Along with the Worship Center, people will be invited and welcomed to view the service in one of our overflow areas. The service will be played live on screens in the foyer, Kids Hub, Jr./Sr. High classroom, and the nursing mother’s room.
CAN I CHECK MY KID INTO SUNDAY CHILDREN’S PROGRAMMING?
Not at this time. We do not anticipate normal kid’s programming for the next couple months. Your child/ren will join you in the worship service. Here are some helpful tips to make it a great time for them:
- The church bulletin now includes a kid’s corner, so take a minute before church service to look at that with your child. It is designed to give your kids some listening challenges to keep them engaged! Children Kindergarten and older should also try to fill-in-the blanks during the 10 minute sermon (the words will appear on the screen).
- Bring a coloring book or quiet activity for younger children.
- Don’t be afraid to move to one of our viewing areas if you are worried about being a distraction. The service can also be viewed in the foyer, the Kids Hub, Jr./Sr. High classroom, and the nursing mother’s room.
HOW CAN I CONTINUE TO GIVE?
Giving Options at ACC for our General Fund and Building Fund:
· Mail a check to the church office at:
PO Box 260, Athens, IL 62613
(All checks will be deposited into our General Fund unless otherwise designated on the memo line of your check.)
· Electronic giving for a one-time or recurring gift:
…Give+ app (search GivePlus Church on your mobile phone)
** Permanent, secure drop box
We have installed a permanent, secure drop box near our outer office door for everyone who prefers to drop off their financial support in person. There is also a dropbox on the wall in the church library.
WHAT PRECAUTIONS IS ACC TAKING TO ENSURE INDIVIDUAL SAFETY?
We are trying to take every step of precaution as prescribed by the CDC to ensure that ACC is safe, secure and spacious for your family.
1. The building will be thoroughly cleaned between each worship experience by our cleaning team. We are spreading out service times and offering more services to allow space and time to do this.
2. We are encouraging social distancing. Volunteers and staff will open doors for you and limit any contact as much as possible. We are also asking for families to sit with their family group and leave space between other family groups when sitting down.
3. All helpful doors will be propped open or opened by our greeters and staff.
4. Hand sanitizer will be available throughout the building.
5. Bulletins may be picked up from several locations in the building or you may print your own from home to bring with you at www.athenschristian.net
6. We are temporarily not providing coffee to limit contact as much as possible.
7. We will not be passing offering or communion trays. Communion and Offering trays will be available but not passed.
Will there be summer Vacation Bible School?
Yes, but this will also look different. Area churches are excited to partner together to bring you ON-LINE Family VBS! We want to help your family Break Out from ordinary to extraordinary this July! We will be bringing you 5 episodes this July (One each Wednesday) for your family to watch on youtube. In addition to each episode, we want to offer VBS Kits to GO! These kits will be filled with puzzles, crafts, and games for families to enjoy throughout the week! Our target age for the kits is kids entering 1st-6th grade, but parents are welcome to register younger children but please be sure to watch for small parts!
Churches participating: Athens and Cantrall United Methodist Church, Athens Christian Church
Find out more and Register On-line: https://athenschristian.net/vbs-2020
Wednesday, June 3, 2020